Gillis’ sales job

It’s no secret that the Vancouver Canucks need more offense, but as training camp starts today with no Mats Sundin in sight, Mike Gillis has started selling Canucks fans with a youth movement.

Increasingly over the last little while, Gillis, in his interviews, has started repeating the same message. Listen closely. You’ll hear how he thinks the Keslers, Raymonds and Bieksas are ready to take on more responsibility and how he thinks the Grabners and Hodgsons are ready to take the next step in their development. You’ll hear how he thinks they should be given this opportunity because, after all, we wouldn’t have found out how good Alex Edler was if not for the same opportunity last year. Not that I don’t think the younger players are ready, but perhaps I’m a bit jaded because of we’ve all heard the same sales job the last couple of years. (I mean, where are Jesse Schultz and Tommi Santala now?)

I have no doubt that Gillis is actively working the phones trying to improve this team; however, I’m sure he’s also finding out exactly how hard this is to do. Every team in the league knows what he’s looking for so he’s not exactly dealing from a position of strength. Now, in the event that he doesn’t land a top-six forward (or two), he wants Canucks fans to start thinking that going with youth maybe isn’t such a bad thing. But are Canucks fans ready to accept that?

1. Jeremy says:

You’re spot-on here, JJ. I’ve heard a few optimists point to the success of Edmonton’s youngsters last season as the model, but are we supposed to believe that any of the Canucks’ top offensive prospects are even close to Gagner, Cogliano and Nilsson in terms of skill? I’d love to see a breakout, but I must admit I’m skeptical. Mason Raymond had all the buzz last year at this time, but he looked pretty lost out there to me. I hope I’m wrong, though.

2. Jeremy says:

3. Johan says:

OK Jeremy, so maybe we don’t have kids on the level of Cogliano or Gagner, but all the same there’s no reason at all why a line consisting of some combination of Raymond, Grabner, Hansen, Hodgson, Gendur couldn’t put up decent numbers.

4. Johan says:

5. GZ Expat says:

I just wonder how long Viggy will be patient with the youngins. He hasn’t showed too much patience with anyone that doesn’t do exactly what he’s wanted thus far…whats to say he will now.

6. GZ Expat says:

7. Nuckels says:

Gagner and Cogliano are barring injury, gonna have careers mirroring Comrie and Morrison. They arent as skilled as they are played out to be. And with there tiny size, they will always have to battle to be effective.
    Vancouver needs help offensively, but if its at the cost of Bieksa, then no thanks. Hands down the player with most heart on the team…

8. Nuckels says:

9. Trini says:

Good one JJ –
    The sales pitch about our youth is getting old. I’ve been hearing about Grabner for two years now. If he was so great last year then how come he didn’t crack the lineup? Our youth is good but not superstar good. They fill in those holes; not the top lines. I might eat my words but I doubt it.
    At this point I’d take Mark Parrish. Wasn’t he “Plan B”? Has he signed anywhere yet?

10. Trini says:

Good one JJ –

11. Andrew says:

I find it rather odd that he’s now going for a “young” look after getting to the team and pronouncing that he was going to do a drastic overhaul. So, now that he’s got players leaving, what does he replace them with, rookies that are already in the system? Hey, I’m a faithful Moose-guy, but still.

12. Andrew says: