Thoughts on day one of the off season
1) This is the first time I’ve been angry and mistrustful of St.Lou, I think. I absolutely adore him so this is a weird feeling for me. Sure, you can argue the speedy Blackhawks turned our defencemen inside out, because it’s true. But, Lui is getting paid a huge amount of money. He can’t let in 7 goals in an elimination game. Not when he’s the franchise player and getting paid like it. For all this talk of Lui leaving for a stronger contender when his contract is up, his forwards gave him 5 goals last night. 5 goals should get you a win if you have one of the top two goalies in the world between the pipes.
2) I whined last night. But the Blackhawks were the better team in this series through and through. If the Canucks played their best, it might have been a different story. I know I said last night I wanted the Hawks humiliated by the Wings, but then I remembered how much I dislike the Wings (and the Ducks for that matter if they manage a comeback). So, obviously, I have to go with cheering for the Hawks. As much as it pains me. God speed babyhawks. Do the west proud.
3) The reffing was brutal in this series. Brutal. I’m not saying it would have changed the outcome of this series, the hawks might be destined to charm themselves all the way to the finals, but a little more consistency would have made things more even. I hope these refs are forced to watch the way they called last night’s game all clockwork orange style with their eyes taped open. And I certainly hope they’re not being asked to call the western final.
4) I thought AV should have been fired last season. Then he wasn’t and he adapted to this new team and I liked the cut of his jib. He was not very good in this series. The Canucks looked rad in game three. They were aggressive, played well defensively, and attacked the net. Then he decides to change the game plan and play ultra conservative and cling to a one goal lead in game 4. They lose and it was the turning point in the series if you believe in that. If they had played the way they did in game three from the very beginning, who knows.
5) Can we keep this little Wellwood guy? He totally reinvented his game during the playoffs and I think he earned a spot next season. Also, please sign the Swedins (That was a typo but I kind of like it) Ohlie, Pyatt, O’Brien? Who knows. Gillis is going to be a very busy man. This off season will be interesting even though it’s longer than we would have liked.
6) We’re back to the Canucks fans old life affirmation “There’s always next year” It feels kind of nice and familiar actually. When we do finally taste the ultimate playoff success, it will be that much better. We’ll know we suffered long and hard for it. This Canucks team is not in tatters. We have a bunch of good things here. I’m just going to keep whispering “Cody Hodgson” to myself this summer. People will think I’m crazy, but it’s going to make me feel better. Is it October yet?