Canucks Ink New Backup and Bring Back O’Brien

1. “Raycroft… gives the Canucks a solid backup behind Roberto.”

Does the word “solid” mean something different in Vancouver than it does in Ontario?

Raycroft is awful. You’ve been warned.

2. “Raycroft… gives the Canucks a solid backup behind Roberto.”

Raycroft is awful. You’ve been warned.

3. Richard Loat says:

He can’t be a starter. I think if he’s given as few as 10 games he’ll handle them decently.

4. Richard Loat says:

5. Laker says:

Odd, the big price tag for SOB surprised me too. SOB might pan out, but after last year’s media screw ups, dumb penalties and other missteps it sure caught me off guard.

6. Laker says:

7. VancityAllie says:

Shane O’Brien was my least favourite player on the Canucks. Disappointed that he is going to be making MORE than last year. What kind of message does that send to the players?

Rycroft’s not a bad deal, glad we saved some money.

8. VancityAllie says:

Rycroft’s not a bad deal, glad we saved some money.

9. @DownGoesBrown – We can’t really complain at $500K. If Raycroft can win even 50% of his 10 starts, I think he’ll be considered a “success”. (Talk about low expectations, eh?)

Personally, I would’ve loved to see Stephen Valiquette, but he’s probably looking at a contract closer to a $1 million.

I suspect Raycroft’s signing is as much to do with the dollars he was willing to sign for as his actual ability.

10. @DownGoesBrown – We can’t really complain at $500K. If Raycroft can win even 50% of his 10 starts, I think he’ll be considered a “success”. (Talk about low expectations, eh?)

11. Matt Reitz says:

I know that most Canucks fans disagree with me on this… but Jason LaBarbara is absolutely awful. The fact that you got someone that has actually HAD a good year in the NHL (and not the AHL) is an upgrade. Being a discount guy, thats good too. Its not like Gillis wants to spend much money on the backup.

Besides, if Raycroft is playing a ton of games, something else went tragically wrong.

Begrudgingly, UPGRADE!

12. Matt says:

Begrudgingly, UPGRADE!

13. ya says:

raycroft was bad on those two teams cuz he had beer league players playing in front of him obrien is a menace solid number 5 or 6 guy ya he takes stupid penalites but he started to improve on that last year and he sticks up for his teammates which was one of the biggest turnarounds gillis made takin over for nonis who made the vancouver ballerinas

14. ya says:

15. Steve-uk says:

Firstly, What sort of moronic is comment is from ya! Uncalled for!
    Secondly, Raycroft for $500k is a good deal, in my book. Luo likes to play as much as possible and as long as he does not get injured, he will continue too. Especially in his contract year.
    Thirdly, SOB for $1.6 mill!!! I find that a bit bizarre. Yes, he came on by leaps and bounds last season, but not that much.

16. Steve-uk says:

Firstly, What sort of moronic is comment is from ya! Uncalled for!