I have rose-colored Gillis glasses

1. Richard Loat says:

Great points JJ.

The problem is, where those other teams spent a lot of money on their top 5, there’s no way you can justify to me spending 4 million on Demitra.

I feel if Gillis spent money on his supplementary players more wisely he’d be in a better position.

I hope you prove me wrong, but I still get the feeling that the team is missing enough scoring to get anywhere this year, and that’s something that won’t be remedied by spending extra money on players like O’Brien, or Demitra.

2. Richard Loat says:

Great points JJ.

3. Steve-uk says:

Good points made by both J.J. and Richard. And you just know that some Nucks fans will just bitch about Gillis if the twins dont score every game or if Bobby lets in a soft one.
    On paper, we dont look like we have sure fire scorers all through the lines. But, that has been the case for the past 2 seasons. And look what happenend, we scored enough.
    I do kind of worry about Gillis signing older UFAs because it could be a short fix that could lead to problems.
    The retention of the twins and the rumoured extension of Bobbys contract is great. Gillis is showing he has head screwed on the right way.

4. Steve-uk says:

5. Kevin says:

It’s a little unfair to just compare the top 3 salaries. In the case of every one of the other teams they had players on entry level contracts that played exceedingly well.

While it appears that Gillis is committed to restocking the cupboards, Vancouver simply doesn’t have the organizational depth yet.

That sadi, I think Cody Hodgson will be a very good NHL player in the future. Sadly I think too many people are expecting great things from him this year and that’s unfair.

The signing of veteran players is simply an attempt to ice a competitive team until all the bread in the oven rises.

6. Kevin says:

7. Kevin – I wholeheartedly agree with your post. It is unfair to compare just the top 3 salaries, but I used the comparison to show that it is possible for teams to commit a huge chunk of salary cap space to their top players and still field a Stanley Cup winning team – I don’t think this handcuffs them at all.

And when the Hodgsons, Grabners and Schroeders are ready to make an impact much like Getzlaf and Perry did for Anaheim, and Franzen and Zetterberg did for Detroit, I think it’s going to be an exciting time for this team. You’re right that it most likely won’t happen this season, but I’m looking forward to when it does. (Personally, my ETA for Hodgson and Grabner is next season, and Schroeder the season after.)

Add Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bernier (and even Wellwood for this season) – all of whom are on reasonable deals – and long-term signed Sedins and Luongo and you have a team that could be good for a few years.

8. Kevin – I wholeheartedly agree with your post. It is unfair to compare just the top 3 salaries, but I used the comparison to show that it is possible for teams to commit a huge chunk of salary cap space to their top players and still field a Stanley Cup winning team – I don’t think this handcuffs them at all.

9. VancityAllie says:

Well done on your research with the cap space and Stanley Cup finalists/winners.

I’m not ready to give up on Gillis yet. I still think he is making some good moves.

Can’t wait to see what happens this year.

10. VancityAllie says:

Can’t wait to see what happens this year.

1. August 25, 2009

[…] more Read more about the original story from Kuklas Korner. Related Websites […]