Salary Cap Conundrum

1. Mr B says:

Interesting take but I disagree. Both the Penguins and the Wings, the stanley cup contending teams, were built around more than one star player. I can think of others as well. I do agree that success depends on the second tier players stepping up.

2. Mr B says:

3. Jared says:

That’s true. But players are willing to take a salary-hit for a couple of years to play on the same teams as Crosby and Malkin, or Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Lidstrom.

Luongo and the Sedins hardly have that pulling power.

4. Jared says:

Luongo and the Sedins hardly have that pulling power.

5. Richard Loat says:

You can hardly compare the Sedins and Luongo to Malkin and Crosby, or the Wings duos.

Luongo in my eyes has yet to prove to me that he can play again the way he did in his first year with Vancouver. If he played like that I’d have no qualms whatsoever. The Sedins while consistant top tier players, are at the bottom of that top tier. They aren’t game changers the way Ovechkin, Crosby or Malkin are. Were the Canucks to have a Malkin or a Crosby, and a Luongo I’d be okay. But the fact that twins need each other to produce the way they are make them something to build upon unto themselves, but to build around all three, I feel the cap hit is going to prove detrimental down the stretch and at times like the trade deadline.

6. Richard Loat says:

7. John Smith says:

I too disagree, Crosby, Malkin, Fleury. Toews, Kane, Sharp. Lecavilier, st. louis, stamkos. the list goes on and on….???

8. John Smith says:

1. August 25, 2009

[…] Richard, I don’t believe that Gillis is spending too much money on too few key pieces. (Hey, just […]