More on the green laser pointer

I don’t blame the Calgary Flames for being upset with the dude (or dudette) who kept using a green laser pointer to, presumably, try and distract the Flames last night – it was a douchey thing to do. But before the hockey world starts to condemn the Canucks and GM Place staff for failing to apprehend the culprit, it’s worth noting that arena staff tried – albeit with no success – to find him. After talking to a couple of friends who worked the game last night, they made it clear that GM Place staff were on the lookout since the laser pointer was first noticed.

The Flames’ trainer apparently first became aware of the laser pointer in the first period after he first spotted the green dot on Jamie Lundmark. The trainer brought it to the attention of arena security and arena security immediately radioed all security personnel to look out for it. Soon after that first call, the Flames saw the green dot on Mikka Kiprusoff and talked to arena security again. At that point security personnel still had no idea where it was coming from, though they were apparently in constant communication each other and with the Flames bench. With more than 18,000 fans in the building, you can imagine how difficult it would be to find the individual with the laser pointer.

The problem persisted in the third period, and understandably, Brent Sutter and the Flames got increasingly upset and irate. Another call went out to all arena security that this was a huge concern. By now, arena hosts and security were all looking for the culprit.

During a TV timeout during the third period, Bill McCreary talked to arena security and security advised that they were all trying to find the laser pointer. Security was advised that the Canucks may be assessed a minor penalty. Brent Sutter also asked McCreary if an announcement could be made asking fans to refrain from using the laser pointer – however, no announcement was made.

Shortly after, the visitors room attendant said that a fan texted him saying that the pointer was in the vicinity of section 116. About the same time, HNIC crew said that they had caught it on the camera behind Kipper’s goal and that the laser pointer was coming from the lower end of section 116, though they couldn’t determine the exact location. Additional security was immediately dispatched and the in-house camera was focused in the area. Once arena security was present in the area, the laser pointing stopped.

NHL Security did say that if the individual was caught, he/she would be arrested for mischief, or assault if Kipper had suffered an eye injury from the laser; unfortunately, the idiot was never found.

The GM Place Code of Conduct does specifically mention that laser pointers are not allowed in the arena. I remember when I used to work there that the use of laser pointers was very much prevalent during Grizzlies games. But while staff were all aware of it, it was always a challenge to locate the responsible individual.

It still is.

1. David says:

Good to know everyone was working behind the scenes on this one. What I don’t understand is why they did not go ahead and make the public announcement. I believe this would have scared the culprit and put an end to things much earlier. Perhaps they were hoping to apprehend the guilty party, but I don’t think it’s worth doing so at the expense of the integrity of the game and the safety of the goalie.

2. David says:

3. Erik Rolfsen says:

Gotta be a season ticket down that low. Serious consequences for somebody if they’re caught.

4. Erik Rolfsen says:

5. Andrew Bates says:

If only there was some way that you could release smoke during the run of play without obstructing the players. Maybe run a smoke show in the intermission, and hope enough lingers to catch a pointer?

Alternatively, is there any way to treat arena glass to disrupt a laser’s direct, eye-ruining beam without killing visibility? (that’d stop the lower bowl).

6. Andrew Bates says:

7. Incredulous says:

Great job Canucks security… Nice work fans by the way for not ratting this guy out. Like no one in the immediate area saw this guy? Real classy. Give me a break.

8. Incredulous says:

9. johnny says:

Pretty stupid thing to do there jackass. All you succeeded in doing was putting a black eye on our fan base and you more than likely pissed off the refs. I think I know now why the Flames weren’t called for several blatant boarding or interference infractions on Saturday and why the Canucks only had one powerplay. Obviously McCreary was sympathetic to the Flames because of the pointer.

10. johnny says:

11. Dave S says:

While I hadn’t noticed what had happened during the game (had the TV muted due to work), I did however read about it the next day and even saw some pictures that were captured. This type of display is sickening. I know it isn’t the entire Canucks fanbase that would pull this type of crap, but it makes me hate the team even more. Seriously, the Canucks coach would have heard about what was happening, he should have called for a halt to the game. I hope the League comes up with some new rules concerning this type of incident. Like a 2-4 minute penalty for interference on one of the players currently on the ice or a fine to the offending fanbases team. Maybe that would stop this sort of thing.

12. Dave S says:

13. norman hall says:

It does not seem possible that this fool was not caught.The TV camera from behind Kippers goal pin pointed the area very clearly. And it was in the expensive seats. Plus people either side of this moron must have seen something. Not a very good showing by the security staff. Surely an announcement would have helped.

14. norman hall says:

15. VancityAllie says:

I’m glad you guys wrote about this… there was quite an uproad in our living room at home.

I can’t believe this guy was not caught though. It was pretty clear from the TV pointer where he was sitting (or at least within a row or two of the guy)… but I guess it’s pretty hard to catch a guy unless the security see him right in the act. A laser pointer is an easy thing to hide.

Such a shame though. Shame on that fan.

I worry a little what will happen in Calgary next time we play there…

16. VancityAllie says:

Such a shame though. Shame on that fan.

I worry a little what will happen in Calgary next time we play there…

17. My understanding is that a fan and the HNIC cameras were able to pinpoint the location to the bottom of section 116, after which security was dispatched to the area right away. Whoever it was stopped using it though so security was never able to catch him.

I don’t understand why the announcement was never made if the Flames asked for it. To be honest, I don’t know whether or not the request even made it to the public announcer.

18. Kenopelnicky says:

VANCITYALLIE wrote “I worry a little what will happen in Calgary next time we play there…” – I hate to burst your bubble sweetheart, but we don’t need laser pointers to win games, and the fact that they “couldn’t locate” the person responsible is pure BS. Keep your worries to your own town. Out here in “Cow-Town” we don’t riot or set the streets ablaze when we lose a series.

19. My understanding is that a fan and the HNIC cameras were able to pinpoint the location to the bottom of section 116, after which security was dispatched to the area right away. Whoever it was stopped using it though so security was never able to catch him.

20. Kenopelnicky says:

21. FlamesFanInVan says:

Just because it was in the ‘expensive’ seats doesn’t mean it was actually a season ticket holder. It was more likely someone who was given a ‘free’ corporate ticket or bought it online. I’m glad to hear that most ‘nuck fans are embarrassed by it but you can’t honestly tell me that those in the immediate area weren’t aware of it this to me displays a low level of integrity in Vancouver fans. I think the NHL needs to implement a penalty for it, I would’ve been laughing so hard if Van got a 2-5 min penalty for it. Rest assured now that one idiot got away with it others will try again this is the typical Vancouver mentality.

22. FlamesFanInVan says:

23. Ken says:

That laser goof deserves 100 punches in the face from McCratten,banned from all NHL arenas for life,charged by the police,,and make his name and picture public,so everybody can know what a freaking GOOF he is..

24. Ken says:

25. I also wrote about this over at my blog *there’s a good picture of the green laser aimed in Kiprusoff’s direction*. I’d like to think the vast majority of Canucks fans are just as put out by this as Flames fans are, and the comments above confirm that.

I mentioned on my blog, and I’ll repeat here: With the help of CBC television and the NHL control crew in Toronto *video review* surely the location and identity of the individual could have been determined and proper action taken. Anyone pulling this stunt needs to face criminal charges – the potential for serious and permanent eye damage is quite real.

26. I also wrote about this over at my blog *there’s a good picture of the green laser aimed in Kiprusoff’s direction*. I’d like to think the vast majority of Canucks fans are just as put out by this as Flames fans are, and the comments above confirm that.

27. HockeyFan says:

Most other arenas would have fans that would rat the guy out. It ignorance on the part of the waste of flesh who did it and ignorance on the part of the fans sitting around the person.

28. HockeyFan says:

29. Kevin says:

Well, laser pointers are pretty small can be be easily concealed. People in the same section are (1) more likely to be focusing on the game than looking around to see whether the laser pointer is coming from their area, (2) not really able to get a good angle from where they sit. The people with the best view of someone doing that are also the people that are too far away to do something about it. But let’s be honest, if you were in a nearby section/row/seat, would you yell at the culprit and say “hey prick, stop it with the laser pointer!” Chances are, probably not. Not if there were no indications that it would hurt the Canucks (the decision to not make an announcement is a major oversight).

Anyway, this kind of reflects poorly on Vancouver fans – and that’s unfortunately the case whenever one or two fans do something stupid in any city.

This Flames supporter (I assume he is because of his last line) wrote about this too.

30. Kevin says:

31. Kevin says:

To Incredulous, norman hall, Kenopelnicky, FlamesFanInVan:

It doesn’t take a criminal to know that if you’re going to do something that’s clearly wrong (like shining a laser pointer in someone’s face), you don’t make it obvious. You think this guy had his arm extended out straight holding his pointer to everyone could find him in a crowd?

HockeyFan, “Most other arenas would have fans that would rat the guy out”
    Give your head a shake. I doubt that’s anywhere near true. If anyone did see someone doing that, between alert the authorities and sit back and wait for authorities to do something about it on their own, most people would probably do the latter. People are more passive than you think, and don’t think that it’s just in Vancouver.

32. Kevin says:

To Incredulous, norman hall, Kenopelnicky, FlamesFanInVan:

HockeyFan, “Most other arenas would have fans that would rat the guy out”

33. CLK55 says:

Dude, GM place and Canucks officials are becoming a laughing stock of the NHL. what’s with those 2 fagots in green suits??? this is embarrassing and gotta stop before a player split their stupid heads in half

34. CLK55 says:

35. Abdi says:

haha the green suit dudes and now this laser incident too funny haha obviously someone saw him no one likes snithes nothing happened ro kipper he is fine plz over blown if you ask me th eonly problem is if the canucks had scored while he was doing it

36. Abdi says:

37. James says:

it will be Vancouver at calgary, Laser pointer night!

38. James says:

it will be Vancouver at calgary, Laser pointer night!

39. Jodie says:

It won’t happen in Calgary….we have more class than that.

40. Jodie says:

It won’t happen in Calgary….we have more class than that.

41. Ryan says:

Jodie, it won’t happen anywhere now. And it doesn’t have to do with “class”. Do Calgarians go to hockey games dressed in tuxedos and dresses? Do your fans play polo and eat caviar?

NO. You fans go to games, drink beer, and curse when cursing is required… just like all hockey fans at NHL games. And you guys go further by wearing cowboy hats. So don’t get all high on yourself.

When your gals start going to games in high heels instead of New Balance runners, maybe you can start talking about class.

And don’t make assumptions of “class” based on one person’s actions.

42. Ryan says:

And don’t make assumptions of “class” based on one person’s actions.

43. Kevin says:

Don’t worry, Jodie! I’ll back you up!

I found some pictures of classy Flames fans for you…

(Admin removed link – Sorry man, can’t have that link stay up.)

And we’re not just talking about the ladies in the middle (who I guess wear high heels to games) of the action, but the classy polo-playing young men gawking and taking photos.

[Moderator can remove this if those fans they prove to be “too classy”. Or you can leave it there if you can let me prove my point.]

44. Kevin says:

Don’t worry, Jodie! I’ll back you up!

I found some pictures of classy Flames fans for you…

(Admin removed link – Sorry man, can’t have that link stay up.)

45. Kevin says:

By the way, I like the green men. Canucks.com has an article about them (http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=513183&navid=DL|VAN|home)

46. Kevin says:

47. Jodie says:

No we don’t go to game dressed like that but we have never thrown a sweatshirt on the ice when a player has a breakaway either 2004 playoffs – your building).
    And…you can get whatever pictures you want but this is a discussion that you can not dispute!

Bush league.

Good luck in the riot this year!!

1. January 11, 2010

[…] or comments?More on the green laser pointer(update Monday Jan 11th) J.J. Guerrero over at the Canucks Hockey Blog reports that GM Place sources tell him the culprit with the green laser pointer was never […]