The Canucks, Trade Talks and the Cap

1. Annoyed says:

Apparently, you dont even know how the cap system works during the season. Please don’t blog about topics you don’t have knowledge of. Its really annoying how many people post sports analysis these days just spreading misinformation.

2. Annoyed says:

3. Annoyed says:

Ok never mind, please forgive me if my comment offended you. The main concern I had is addressed in the last paragraph:
    “As an aside, I know cap space is calculated daily, but because the Canucks are at the cap anyway, I used each player’s total cap number for the season for simplicity”

However, I still don’t believe that your analysis with respect to LTIR is entirely accurate, but that’s a lesser issue compared to above.

4. Annoyed says:

5. Gord Smith says:

So we are all stupid,so wear does Calgary and the rest of the good teams find the money,I believe they can find the money if they find the right player,We fill the seats every game do not get greedy or we will all loose Thanks Gord

6. Gord Smith says:

7. @annoyed – No offense taken. I just re-read the post and could understand where it may have been confusing.

Re: LTIR – I just noticed that I said two different things above and I’ll clarify.

In the Kovalchuk example, I said that the Canucks would have to move $3.75 million in salary when Bieksa came back (assuming he comes back in the regular season). In the Backes example, I said that the Canucks would need to find room for Bieksa’s salary.

I was wrong in the Kovalchuk example and unclear in the Backes one.

When Bieksa comes back (again assuming he comes back in the regular season), the Canucks would need to find room to again comply with the Upper Limit on the cap. (i.e. Total yearly salaries can’t exceed $56.8 million or $294,300 per day.)

Right now, the Canucks are carrying 26 players with salaries totaling $59,127,499 ($306,360 per day). Obviously those numbers go down depending on who they waive/ship back to the Moose when Mitchell comes back and Hansen returns from his conditioning stint. If we assume that Baumgartner ($550K) and Lukowich ($1.566 million) are the odd men out, the Canucks would then only need to shed another salary when Bieksa returns.

Sorry folks for any confusion on this.

8. @annoyed – No offense taken. I just re-read the post and could understand where it may have been confusing.

I was wrong in the Kovalchuk example and unclear in the Backes one.

Sorry folks for any confusion on this.

1. April 29, 2011

[…] The Canucks, Trade Talks and the Cap | CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG With the Olympic trade freeze only a week away and the NHL trade deadline less than a month away, … we're sure to hear all sorts of trade rumors and speculation involving the Vancouver Canucks. … […]