Why Canucks fans should remain positive

Matt Lee

Matt Lee has been a Canucks follower and a prototypical Canadian for years; it started on the streets by playing road hockey before and after Vancouver Canucks games and it's brought him here. After graduating from SFU with a BA in Communications and a minor in History while serving as the student newspaper's sports editor for two years, Matt is now a student at BCIT's Broadcast Journalism program in hopes of becoming a sports broadcaster.

1. I don’t officially panic until we lose tomorrow night. I’d be happy to leave LA with a split and home ice advantage.

2. I don’t officially panic until we lose tomorrow night. I’d be happy to leave LA with a split and home ice advantage.

3. Brendan says:

While it’s refreshing to finally read some positive thoughts, and while i desperately want to share in your sentiments, as you raise some good valid points, I’m finding it difficult to remain as opimistic.

The Canucks have shown zero ability to kill penalties in this series, and while you’re right, chances are the LA power play can’t possibly keep up a success rate of 60%, the Canucks haven’t shown me any reason why it wouldn’t.

We obviously miss Ryan Johnson and Willie Mitchell on the PK. I never valued their jobs as much as I see how we are without them. I loved Ryan Johnson, but i felt someone else would step up to fill his void. That’s what the Canucks have done all season long in dealing with injuries. Thus far, no one has stepped up to fill that void on the PK. Mitchell’s been out since January, and i still haven’t seen a player fill in for his shut-down role, although collaboratively Sami Salo, Christian Ehrhoff, and Alex Edler have done an admirable job.

In the end it all comes down to Roberto Luongo. He has struggled with his core assets from his form, to rebound control, to all of a sudden treating the puck like it’s a live grenade when it goes towards his glove hand. Luongo’s glove hand used to be his biggest strength. Now it’s his biggest weakness. He has to find a way to hone back his core assets and get back to playing the way we expect him to. Ultimately it’s Luongo who will decide who wins this series, not special teams or 5-on-5 play. Luongo starts playing better, and all of a sudden the PK looks a lot better too.

Cheers.

4. Brendan says:

Cheers.

5. Carter says:

I think a lot of Vancouver fans never got past the team’s seed number (3) to realize that they only finished 2 points ahead of the Kings in the West, while playing in a weaker division.

If any series was going to be a tossup, it’s this one.

6. Carter says:

If any series was going to be a tossup, it’s this one.

7. Robert says:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the red spotlight bathing the Canuck goalies after Kings goals? I think this is something new at Staples and have not seen it anywhere else.

8. Robert says: