Battling for the Fourth Line Center Spot and I’m Giving Away Canucks Open Practice Tickets

If you look at the Canucks expected lineup tonight, you’ll notice that the four centers dressing are the four centers vying for the team’s fourth line center position.

Listening to Alain Vigneault’s comments after last night’s win against the Sharks, it sounds like Cody Hodgson, if he starts in Vancouver rather than Winnipeg, is destined for a bottom-six role.

“It’s a question of what’s best for the team and once we’ve made that assessment we’re obviously going to consider what’s best for him,” said Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault. “Is it best for him to play eight or nine minutes a game here or is it best for him to play 20 minutes in Manitoba. We’re going to consider all those things and make the right decision for the team and the player.”

Of the others playing tonight, Alex Bolduc and Joel Perrault haven’t exactly stood out; and the one who has impressed the most this preseason, Brendan Morrison, is yet to sign a contract.

In a preseason when there aren’t a lot of roster spots available, the fourth line center position is one that’s up for grabs. Tonight’s game provides as good an opportunity as any for one of the guys to take it.

On a side note: I can’t make the Canucks Open Practice this Sunday due to other last-minute obligations so I’m giving away my tickets – four (4) reserved seats in the lower bowl (section 122, row 20).

Answer the following question and leave a comment on this page, and we’ll do a random draw for the tickets.

Who should start the season as the Canucks' 4th line center?

• Joel Perrault (3%, 2 Votes)
  • Alex Bolduc (3%, 2 Votes)
  • Cody Hodgson (5%, 4 Votes)
  • Brendan Morrison (89%, 66 Votes)

Total Voters: 74

Loading ... Loading ...

We’ll run this until Thursday, September 30th at 11:59 PM, and announce the winner on Friday morning, October 1st.

[Update: 10/01/2010, 7:05 AM]

Congratulations to Nicole Bansal for winning the tickets! And thanks to everyone for entering!

1. Andrew Qua says:

Gotta be BMo. He’s shown a lot in the preseason. They guy deserves to be in the line-up.

2. bnook19 says: of course 🙂

3. I’ve chosen Morrison – he’d make the cut just based on his play vs Anaheim (a game I attended in person). And yes, there is also the nostalgia factor in my vote!

4. Pf says:

BMo! The guys really trying

5. Brooksisking says:

as long as they can fit him under the cap, Mo is the safe choice.

6. Matt Maxwell says:

Morrison. Tons of leadership and can play up in the top 6 when needed. He can also play more than your average 4th liner, as he’s not a liability defensively.

Cody isn’t ready, it’s pretty obvious. The guy hasn’t played in a year, give him time in the AHL.

Bolduc and Perrault are both solid choices, but they aren’t as well rounded as Morrison. Morrison brings more to the table.

7. guest says:

i have a feeling Morrison’s going to be back.

8. Willtao06 says:

I think B-Mo deserves it for his play this preseason. But I think keepin an extra centre that if necessary can transform our fourth line into a physical line may be beneficial when playing against certain teams. I don’t know if Schaefer will make it, but I don’t mind flanking B-Mo with someone like Tanner Glass.

9. Aaronottho says:

B-Mo for sure, He’s versatile, good rapport with players on all lines, best skill set, great at faceoffs, looking to prove himself again. Other players can always come in if there are injuries or for a specific game (think AV playing Rypien for playing against a physical team, B-Mo for playing against a skill team)

10. Har Journalist says:

I think Morrison should play at the 4th line centre on the team if his contract comes cheap. I don’t want a fourth liner making more than 1.5 million. He has a lot expierence playing in the Northwest Division and can contribute to the team but only if he doesn’t cost a lot. Hodgson, Shroeder, and Shirokov need more time in Manitoba. I think the bigger question is who plays on the top line with the Sedins while Burrows is out? I think Jeff Tamebellini might get that spot. He is on a two way contract which helps his chances.

11. Kevin Ko says:

I’m going with Hodgson. It’s a long shot, but if there’s a winger spot, then I think BMo can sit there. Maybe on the same line with Hodgson, who can benefit from his experience.

12. Lori Davis says:

#Canucks Rock. That’s nice of u. I’m going with Morrison. Woot Woot #Canuck fever building up again. We need it :))

13. Vincent Lore says:

Morrison all the way 🙂

14. Diana says:

I love the ‘Nucks! Would love to see the Open Practice!!

15. Hilary says:

I’ve been a BMo fan for 10 yrs and would love him to get a contract… besides, I think Cody would benefit from some more time in the AHL

16. Definitely Mo. Can’t wait for regular season and to have him back on the team!

17. John Paul says:

Out of all the 4th line center prospects i have to say that BreMo and Hodgson have shown the most heart but for a guy thats 35 and winding down morrison has got to be the sentimental favorite here

18. Aidan says:

Look I’m leaving a comment 🙂 – I am just thrilled that hockey season is back is full force! 🙂 I have a soft spot of BreMo simply because of the history, I am still undecided with the other names as I am still getting use to all the new names being thrown around regarding the Canucks – I plan to be up to speed with everything once regular season starts.

19. Krv1 says:

My boyfriend would absolutely die if I could get these tickets. And I would be barely conscious. Fingers crossed!