Raffi Torres against the World

1. Puck Watch says:

Nice post! Appreciate the background vids. I felt it was dirty at first, but am coming around to it being definitely in the gray area at least. I wrote a similar piece on it. Reminds me a lot of the Bertuzzi – Jackman hit from 2003.

2. torressuckacawks says:

you honestly are trying to say that was a clean hit? let’s put you out there in that vulnerable position of being hit blindsighted and see what your thoughts on that hit are then

3. It’s not a blindside hit if you’re facing a guy but just not paying attention. That hit is clean, and you’re just asspained.

4. vancitydan says:

Got to agree there Hawks fan. I wavered back and forth, but its a hockey play. Behind the net like that, Seabrook has to not just “hope I don’t get hit here”. It is Torres coming off a suspension though, and his shoulder does hit the head. So, I won’t be surprised if there is a suspension.

But that will be wrong, I think.

5. vancitydan says:

But that will be wrong, I think.

6. Tim Swanson says:

If we outlaw this hit then we make the game unsafe! YES UNSAFE!! A player must keep his head up and take a measure of safety in his own hands. If we allow a penalty for not seeing a hit coming, we will encourage players to keep their heads down and take one for the team. A 5 minute major in a playoff game would be a huge tempation ….. doncha think?

7. Ed Lau says:

I was going to make similar observations, really. The only reason this is a blindside hit is because Seabrook is looking at the wrong direction instead of where he’s going. Skating behind the net not looking where you’re going chasing the puck? You’re just asking to get hit.

As you can see in the above shot, Torres hits him from the front. He’s aimed right at the crest. The only reason he hits Seabrook in the head is because Seabrook is leaning over. Last time I checked, Seabrook is 6’3″ or 6’4″ and Torres is barely 6′. Torres didn’t leave his feet either.

8. GoCanucks says:

He didn’t play the puck and he was clearly targeting Seabrooks head. Suspend him for 8 games and fire him in the off season. Ya, that’s coming from a lifelong Canucks fan.

9. It’s NHL Hockey , not Euro Hockey as far as I’m concerned it was a great hit , #7 Seabrook needs to learn to keep his head up if this is an issue but even he isn’t throwing Torres under the bus !!!!! Quit your Whining , especially alleged Nuks fans who are bitching !!!!!

10. juv3nal says:

How can a hit square to the chest be blindside? Because Seabrook wasn’t looking? So if Seabrook hypothetically happens to be looking right at Torres up until the hit occurs and he flinches and blinks somehow that becomes a blindside hit because he wasn’t looking at the moment of contact? That’s crazy talk.

I will concede, I’m not clear at all about the rules governing contact to the head, but that’s an entirely separate issue. There is NO WAY that’s blindside, though.

11. Michaelgalica says:

Raffi Torres is a a piece of shit and should be kicked out of the league. Fucking hack cheap shot. Good hard hitting is part of the game but this poor son of a bitch should find another job.