The Canucks 2011 Playoff Beard Challenge
If there’s one thing we here at Canucks Hockey Blog can’t get enough of, it’s a little friendly competition. So in the spirit of things, we’re throwing down the gauntlet for the Canucks 2011 Playoff Beard Challenge.
Although the playoff beard itself has a storied and cherished past, and many have gone on to grow them to sasquatch-ian proportions, a few of us thought it would be better served if some order was brought to the madness. Last season, we had a number of participants step up such as myself (check out the mug below), Derek Jory (best known as the guy behind @canucksgame and a staff writer for the Vancouver Canucks, and many others – do you want to be that one person who doesn’t join in on the debauchery this season?
To participate, simply take a picture of your beard from Day 1 through to the end of the Canucks playoff run and share it with the world. How to share you ask? Well, you can do one of the following:
- Join the official Flickr Group – The Canucks 2011 Playoff Beard Challenge.
- Sign up with DailyBooth.
- Tweet your progress through twitter.
- Keep a running log on your own blog, myspace, or website.
And what would a challenge be without rules?
The Rules of the 2011 Canucks Playoff Beard Challenge:
- You don’t talk about Beard Club.. err.. the Challenge.
- You don’t talk about Beard Club.
- If you can’t do the beard, commit to something and stick to it (special ritual, personal habit, etc.). We here at the Challenge do not discriminate against those who can’t/don’t/won’t grow facial hair.
- Once you’re in, you’re in. Unless you’re not. We’re not that hardcore. But keep in mind the idea of a playoff challenge is to keep it going – and Lord knows we’ll make you feel shame should something untoward happen to the Canucks in the post-season AFTER you quit.
- The wishes of your significant other do not trump Beard Club. In fact, you should encourage him/her/it to heed the call to challenge and join up.
At the end of the Canucks’ playoffs run – hopefully ending in a parade down Georgia St. – we’ll be giving away a $25 gift certificate to The Hurricane Grill to one random participant.
If you post your playoff beard photos on the official Flickr Group, you’re automatically entered in the draw.
If you post them on your Daily Booth, Twitter, MySpace, blog, etc., and want to enter the draw, we ask that you simply enter the link to your photo in the comments section of this post. (We’re not mind readers and won’t know where to look for your entry otherwise.)
So are you in?
[update: Because a few people asked, last shave is on Wednesday morning.]