Jun 022011

[About the game from two viewpoints. Chris and Caylie watch the game and exchange their thoughts via email.]

From: Christopher Golden
To: Caylie King
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 17:12

Hey Caylie,

So. Here we are. Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final. And it’s IN Vancouver.

C.

From: Caylie King
To: Christopher Golden
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 17:43

Hi Chris,

This is truly what we have all been waiting for. Special teams will win this series. With an efficiency of about 8% on the PP, the Bruins will have to deal with our great PK and dangerous powerplay.

We just killed a 4-minute high-sticking minor, and here we go to our first PP. We NEED to capitalize!

Caylie

From: Christopher Golden
To: Caylie King
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:28

Hey Caylie,

Considering how effective the Bruins PP has been this post-season, I’m surprised that they don’t decline some of these penalties that are being called – they’re much better 5-on-5.

Speaking of 5-on-5, can we see more of it? I want to see an epic war between these two teams. No regrets.

C.

From: Caylie King
To: Christopher Golden
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:48

Hi Chris,

It seems like when the Canucks were studying tape on the Bruins, during their 8-day lay over, they studied how to be ineffective on the powerplay. We have had so many opportunities but haven’t scored. Burrows has also taken two (although they were questionable) penalties while ON the PP.

Caylie

From: Christopher Golden
To: Caylie King
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 19:10

Hey Caylie,

Really? True the Canucks need to manufacture a goal on the PP once in a while, but at least we’re getting the chances – this leads me to proclaim we’re winning.

And what’s with the wraparound after wraparound? Did I miss the update on Thomas not having good lateral movement?

C.

From: Caylie King
To: Christopher Golden
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 19:20

Hi Chris,

I think that “once in a while” is way past due. We have to make them pay for their penalties. That being said, 5-on-5 play has been great, I’m loving the end to end rushes by both teams.

We definitely can’t say that this game has been a boring game. It should be one hell of a 3rd period. What do you think, is overtime looming?

Caylie

From: Christopher Golden
To: Caylie King
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:01

Hey Caylie,

I really wanted to reply earlier, but you said overtime and I was worried about messing with the hockey Gods.

Wouldn’t have called that. Ever. And although I’m stoked for the win, it worries me that Thomas looked to be in the zone. Yes Louie got the shutout, but damn did Thomas look freaking good. This bodes well for the Bruins…

C.

From: Caylie King
To: Christopher Golden
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:10

Hi Chris,

Who would have thunk that big orange Raffi would pot the winner with less than 20 seconds in the game.

I agree with you, a lot of analysts said that the long layoff would hurt Thomas, get him out of rhythm. But damn, he looked great tonight. That being said, Luongo looked equally as good. It’ll be the battle of the goalies and special teams.

I am still surprised how many penalties were called in the game. I’m hoping it’s not like this all series. It’s better to see 5-on-5 play, while allowing the game to flow.

Game 1 goes to the good guys. We are 3 wins away! Bring it home, boys!!!

Caylie