Jun 092011

[About the game from two viewpoints. Chris and Caylie watch the game and exchange their thoughts via email.]

From: Caylie King
To: Christopher Golden
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2011 14:48

Hi Chris,

There has been so much chatter on social media these last few days about Rome’s suspension, Vancouver fans vs Boston fans, and the word “classless” has been used one too many times.

Bottom line it’s all about hockey and the players on the ice. I think this will be a pivotal game in the series, I don’t quite think it’s a MUST win, but to silence the critics we need a strong bounce back game. If we don’t want to worry about the treatment of our fans in beantown, a win tonight to set us up for a game 5 victory would be perfect.

What do you expect from the boys in white with trims of blue and green? What will be the key to winning this game?

Caylie

PS: Can you tell I’m ready for the game, considering puck drop is still over 2 hours away?

From: Christopher Golden
To: Caylie King
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2011 16:05

Hey Caylie,

Wow – you must be psyched!

I agree. With all the crap that’s happened post-game (and even post-whistle during the game), it’s really distracted us from some solid and exciting hockey when the puck is on the ice. True, the effort we saw from the Canucks was lacking midway through the 2nd and all the 3rd, but the rest has been great.

Game 4 is not a must-win, but I expect nothing less than a stellar effort from the Canucks. The game we want to see is a high-octane, puck controlling squad that out hustles the Bruins. What we don’t want to see is the Canucks trying to do is become pugilistic – that style always benefits the underdog and let’s face it, the Bruins beat us in that battle hands down.

And I’d love to see us win, but don’t think a hard-fought game that results in a loss is a reason to hit the panic button. We’re up 2 games to 1, have home ice advantage, and finished top in the league for a reason. The boys in blue are a great team.

Wait… have I already said this before at some point during the post-season?

C.

From: Caylie King
To: Christopher Golden
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2011 17:39

Hi Chris,

1-for-18. Really? Is the Boston PK that good or are we that intimidated? Normally we are confident and can set up and be effective. We need more traffic in front, and for the love of baby jejus get on those rebounds.

We are chasing and seem rattled. We need to get back to our game. ASAP.

Caylie

From: Christopher Golden
To: Caylie King
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2011 18:06

Hey Caylie,

I don’t know if the powerplay woes are as much Boston figuring out the Canucks as it is the Canucks trying too hard. Every powerplay seems to be a complicated event where they look to execute the perfect play. Why not simplify and just get the puck on net?

C.

From: Caylie King
To: Christopher Golden
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2011 18:11

Hi Chris,

Exactly, simplify! And what is up with Edler? He seems so slow and unmotivated. He needs to do a much better job quarterbacking the powerplay, or maybe just clearing our own zone before there are 2 Bruins on him.

I’m hoping Manny or someone is talking some sense into these guys. Get back to our game, get back to what has been successful ALL season long.

Caylie

From: Christopher Golden
To: Caylie King
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2011 18:44

Hey Caylie,

Last two games I was telling anyone who listened that Ballard needed to be on the ice. Based on his play to this point, I should probably be eating my words. Mind you, the entire defensive core seems to be shaky so maybe KB4 simply wants to fit in?

I want to see a Canucks response. Get a goal or a tonne of pressure on Thomas now. Show us there is life left in Boston.

C.

From: Caylie King
To: Christopher Golden
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2011 19:11

Hi Chris,

I tried to give KB4 the benefit of doubt after his first turnover, and then his second. But as he continued to give up the puck I could feel my blood pressure rising by the second.

Bottom line is the effort from our team has been horrid. Where are Kesler, Raymond and the Sedins? If I don’t see a push back and some heart in the third, I will be officially worried.

Who wants it more? After 2, the answer is clear and it’s not the team in the white.

Caylie

From: Christopher Golden
To: Caylie King
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2011 19:47

Hey Caylie,

This is tough to watch. I’m still not worried as this simply means a series “restart” and a best-of-three, but I don’t understand where the team that had pace has gone. Heck, where’s the team we saw in the 1st period of Game 3?

C.

From: Caylie King
To: Christopher Golden
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2011 19:49

Hi Chris,

All I can say is regroup, refocus and play like we can. Our true character will come out in game 5. We have to believe!

Caylie

From: Christopher Golden
To: Caylie King
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2011 20:26

Hey Caylie,

Anyone who thought this would be an easy series (even after the 1st two games) must have missed much of the season. The Bruins are a good team. And even after games 3 and 4, I still feel the Canucks are just that bit better. That makes for a solid final.

We’re just seeing a roundabout way to do it. And if you consider, that’s usually how the Canucks roll.

C.