Jump in the CHB Hockey Pool, win a Canucks jersey!
I went to the Moneyball premiere last night – good movie by the way – and it got me thinking about stats and player valuation and what it must be like to be a GM of a professional sports team.
Which in turn got me thinking about hockey pools, and more specifically, the CHB Hockey pool.
In previous years, we’ve done head-to-head pools on Yahoo, but that was limited basically to about 10-12 hardcore poolies who signed up every year.
This season, we thought we’d open things up for more people and try something different.
You pick 30 players, including any 26 skaters (any combination of forwards and defensemen) and 4 goaltenders. There’s no lottery, no draft, no trades. No experience is necessary – you just straight up pick the players you like and follow along during the season.
The Scoring System
For skaters, you’ll earn the following points:
- 1 point for every goal
- 1 point for every assist
- 0.5 points for every powerplay goal or assist
- 0.5 points for every shorthanded goal or assist
- 0.5 points for every game-winning goal in regulation and OT
- 0.5 points for every game-winning goal in the shootout
Ex. If Daniel Sedin scores a powerplay goal, he earns 1.5 points (1 point for the goal and 0.5 points for him scoring it on the powerplay). If this powerplay goal ends up being the game-winner, he’ll earn a total of 2 points (1 point for the goal, 0.5 points for him scoring it on the powerplay and 0.5 points for it being the game-winning goal).
For goaltenders, you’ll earn the following points:
- 2 points for every win (in regulation, OT or shootout)
- 2 points for every shutout
Ex. If Roberto Luongo backstops the Canucks to a 2-1 win, he earns 2 points for the win. If Luongo backstops the Canucks to a 2-0 shutout win, he earns 4 points (2 points for the win and 2 points for the shutout). Note that the NHL doesn’t give credit for a shutout if it’s shared by both goaltenders (i.e. both goaltenders appeared in that particular game).
To enter, you can either:
- Post your 30 players on the comments section below. (Make sure you sign in before you post so we have your name and contact information in case you win.)
- Alternatively, you can email me your list of 30 players at email@example.com.
Remember that you need to include 26 skaters and 4 goaltenders. We won’t accept any entries that don’t meet this criteria.
The deadline to send in your entry is 11:59 PM on Tuesday, October 4th.
There is no entry fee, but please, only one entry per person.
To check your stats, go to pickuphockey.com and use the pool name “CHBPOOL2012” and password “believeinlou”.
All teams will be entered by Sunday, October 9th. (All stats will be retroactive to the start of the regular season on October 6th.) Make sure you check your entries.
The team with the most points at the end of the regular season wins.
The winner will receive a Reebok Canucks Premier Jersey (retail $139 plus tax) like this one here.
If there is a tie, the following tie-breakers will apply in the following order:
- Most number of goals
- Most number of goaltender wins
- Most number of shutouts
- Most number of powerplay goals
- Most number of game-winning goals in regulation and OT
- Most number of game-winning goals in the shootout
- Most number of shorthanded goals
If teams are still tied after these tie-breakers, these teams will split $150 in Canucks Team Store gift cards.
What are you waiting for? Get your team in… and good luck!