Hodgson, Sulzer Traded for Kassian, Gragnani

Matt Lee

Matt Lee has been a Canucks follower and a prototypical Canadian for years; it started on the streets by playing road hockey before and after Vancouver Canucks games and it's brought him here. After graduating from SFU with a BA in Communications and a minor in History while serving as the student newspaper's sports editor for two years, Matt is now a student at BCIT's Broadcast Journalism program in hopes of becoming a sports broadcaster.

1. Simsidhu94 says:

I hope Hodgson likes it in buffalo

2. Simsidhu94 says:

I hope Hodgson likes it in buffalo

3. mike says:

Gillis screwed up. Trading away a clutch, future allstar for an unproven AHLer was a big mistake. As a Canucks fan, i have never been so dissapointed with one trade.

4. trevor says:

i would of thought hodgson was worth way more than kassian. either gillis has a hard-on for kassian or the market for hodgson was very bad. even still i think packaging schneider and hodgson together should of gotten them a much better outcome. but who knows maybe gillis will throw another curb ball and if luongo under performs this playoffs he will be the one on the trading block.

5. A good choice.  You have to give Mike Gills a two thumbs up. George

6. The Curse of the Bambino says:

the cody hodgson curse begins…

7. Random says:

Bull-Sh!t

8. Kevinstewart8892 says:

so dissapointed, big time crewed up, why hodgson?, why not trade biesa? or luongo? without these two, canucks will have more chanceto  win the stanley cup !!!!!!

9. [email protected] says:

Hodsgon didnt wanna stay 3rd on the depth chart behind hank and kesler did he but i still would traded him after this years playoffs

10. andrew says:

Just horrible.. I can’t understand this move. Hodgson is proven at the NHL level and a huge class act. Kassian is unproven and apparently has poor work ethic. Extremely disappointed.

11. Wade says:

Not sure yet, but i’m pretty sure we are bigger and stronger now which was needed.  Haha, no chance to win the Stanley Cup?  Who is the joker who said that…. you think Hodgson was the player that was brought us to game seven of the finals?  haha.

12. DAgo says:

Gillis has continued to surprise me……not being a hockey professional I would tend to think the Canucks management has made this move for very specific reasons as I thought the team was in perfect position for another run.  Let’s wait and see if Gillis walks on water (frozen albeit).  When the management traded Burke away I nearly left Canucks Legion…….I think he and his staff are head and shoulders above Burke now….surprise surprise lets hope this surprise is a good one. The Cup needs to come home to Vancouver have faith.

13. DAgo says:

14. Beer&Meat says:

Sad to see Cody go, but to hold him back for the next 3-4 years would not be right.
    With that said, for what the Canucks need right now, we won this trade.

15. Larry disagrees says:

I hope what comes around goes around for our management core..they should be traded..

16. Larry disagrees says:

17. Teamjenkins says:

All I can say is  – Markus Naslund for Alex Stoanjov or however you spell it

18. Teamjenkins says:

All I can say is  – Markus Naslund for Alex Stoanjov or however you spell it

19. Jambro says:

Haha you are a complete fool. Hodgson will be amazing in 3-5 years but he won’t want to stay behind Henrik and Kesler. We picked up a young solid winger who will hopefully bring some “boom”. Trade Bieksa..? Don’t kid yourself.

20. Jambro says:

21. Jambro says:

22. TOUCHET says:

I don’t see how this helps us in the short-term or even the long term. Hodgson has proven to be an effective NHL’er whereas Kassian albeit a year younger has not as of yet and he appears to not have the best attitude. Sure he put up great AHL numbers but so have players like Jason Krog, Mark Mancari etc. Hodgson put up much better OHL numbers despite not playing on a stacked team like Zack had the privilege of. Don’t get me wrong, they’re both still young and both have potential but in my opinion Cody has a much higher ceiling and he if he wouldn’t have had a spot in our top 6 due to the presence of Hank and Kes could we not of just held off on dealing him or dealt him for a young D man similar in value to Hodgson? I don’t know, this just doesn’t fit into the mould of a typical, smart, understated Mike Gillis type move. I’ll reserve my judgement until I actually see the players involved in the swap play, but I have to say I’m incredibly concerned over this deal.

23. TOUCHET says:

24. nn says:

your an idiot, first in the nhl

25. Jimmyw27 says:

bull shit

26. Mike says:

People before commenting maybe give the new guys a few games hmm!!! Maybe Hodgson requested a trade because of the depth and he knows that he would never get the miniutes to be a star in Vancouver I.e grabner, when asked gillis didn’t say no regarding if Hodgson requested a trade or not. So give it a break

27. Why they need to trade Cody Hodgson he’s really good and he’s a good attacker to!! and canucks don’t need new players because all the canucks players are really good !!

28. L.V.C says:

right Hodgson  is really good but I don’t understand why canucks need to trade him!!

29. Kevinstewart8892 says:

who won the big games? , always corey schneider wons, he is a much better goalie than luongo,  luongo  lost the most games , even lost in  the last minute, he get pay huge amount money and good for nothing, he should be the first one be trade , bieska is not a good defence man and talk too much either………. very sad to see hodgson go, but no choice….hoping he is happy with this.

30. Tooshort_186 says:

Fucking Retard Gillis should die for this trade. Seriously jump off the bridge you stupid fuck

31. Canuckjohnw says:

you are  the # 1 bull shit in north america, go see your family doctor…

32. Canuckjohnw says:

you are  the # 1 bull shit in north america, go see your family doctor…

33. 1nthachamber says:

nice comment. you’re a true fan, I have to say. Way to try and condemn your team while knowing nothing of what the future holds for the players Vancouver gets. Hodgson could get hit tomorrow and have his career ended while Kassian could become a 50 goa scorer in the mold of Cam Neely. Did you have fun rioting and wrecking our gorgeous city last yr? Even if you werent part of it you might as well have been because with comments like this you arent a true fan.

34. Trevor says:

Haters will hate but like most people see the truth, Hank, Kesler are our two top Centers and they are going to be around for a long time and Cody would never get the minutes they are getting. So I say good luck Cody I was your biggest fan and I wish him well. On the other hand we did get added toughness up front, which is what we needed. Trust Gillis he is not a idiot only the people on here who think they can do his job better are the idiots. The owners want a cup and want a cup bad, so like charlie we are “winning”. Plus we have great young prospects coming through the system. Nicklas Jensen has just as much skill as Cody and maybe even better and he is young like Kassian, which is still retaining some youth. So I am a big Gillis supporter and so far he has done a hell of a job. We got the Presidents trophy last year and are on course to better this year and get it again, and we got too the finals but what we lacked was toughness. So are you telling me we should stay soft and try to muscle our way out of the west good luck with that.

35. AREYOUSERIOUS? says:

Luongo played more games than Schneider you idiot, that’s why he has more losses. And to Schneider winning all his big games. So has Luongo this year. In fact, in his career, Luongo has won many big games. Or do you forget that.
    Bieksa has been great for us. He sometimes takes high risk plays, but they are high risk/ high reward, and they have won us more important games that lost us.Cody Hodgson is a great player, just not the right type of great player for us. We got two top prospects for one recently NHL ready proven top prospect. Kassian looks to be the type of player we have been missing, a big mean SOB power forward. We have speed, skill and chemistry, but lacked that little extra bit. And no I’m not saying we lost the SCF because of toughness, but a power forward would have helped knock down their biggest players throughout the playoffs. Especially when the referees refuse to call penalties even on blatantly obvious plays.But when someone types like a second grader I don’t really expect much thought being put into their statements.

36. AREYOUSERIOUS? says:

37. Demitrov says:

I like it. Big power forward who’s been tearing up the AHL, good defensive D-man who did well in the playoffs last year, and a depth 3-4th center who’s played with the Sedins before and won a cup.

Christ, people act like Hodgson was the second coming of Christ on skates because of a decent rookie season. And I think Gillis and the management have earned a bit of trust

38. AREYOURSERIOUS? says:

Intelligent thoughts for an ape, but from a human I would consider them borderline retarded.

39. AREYOURSERIOUS? says:

40. Brian2003 says:

gillis just got his ass handed to him by regier
    in 3 to 5 years, kassian will be in the minors, and hodgson will be a 1st team all-star
    who’s gonna replace hodgson’s scoring? sure ain’t gonna be raymond

41. Brian2003 says:

gillis just got his ass handed to him by regier
    who’s gonna replace hodgson’s scoring? sure ain’t gonna be raymond

42. Demitrov says:

Correction. OHL not AHL.

43. Demitrov says:

Correction. OHL not AHL.

44. R Hillary says:

Skill wise Cody definitely has more upside…. And if we evaluate the trade purely on skill, points and scoring then we probably lost the trade … BUT… We have to look at the entire Canuck package as a team and what it is going to take for us to win the Cup. Scoring is not really an issue for us as much as having a rough and tough power forward that can deal with the Chara’s and other bruisers.

Player to player… I would take Cody. Big picture however…hmmmmm… Gives us more balance to play on a variety of different levels. For OUR team this might be “the piece”…..

Grizz

45. Kevinstewart8892 says:

ok,  than can you explain why let schneider play the big games? like against boston or ?  and he is even a back up goalie, why not luongo play the big game? doenst matter how many games luongo plays, he is not stable, no confident….

46. Kevinstewart8892 says:

47. Josh says:

Interesting trade. Not what anyone expected, but I’m excited to see what comes to be because of it.

48. Jambro says:

I can’t even take you serious because of your grammer. None the less, it would be very difficult to get rid of Luongo even if the organization wanted to. They would have to buy out a good chunk of his contract and I don’t think they would be doing that when he is playing pretty damn good this season. Having two number 1 goalies is a blessing and we need to take advantage of it. When one has a bad game play the other, it’s as simple as that. And Kevin B? One of our top 2 defenders, makes clutch plays, has tons of heart, wouldn’t trade him for anything.

49. Nucksnation says:

after reviewing kassian’s play over the past few years, i think he  will be good for the canucks come play off time. However, his play is only proven in the minors, and  i do not know if he can play the same way in the nhl, without getting suspended that is. Still, i will have to watch a few games to come to a definate conclusion on kassian. As for hodgson, he will be missed greatly by the fans of canucks nation, as i have been watching ever since he was drafted, but we all know he was going to be traded sooner or later, he deserves to be a top 6 forward and that is no secret. This will be better for his career.

50. Frankfurter says:

You mean Cody Godson?

1. February 29, 2012

[…] at 8:00 am Add comments Feb 292012 Wow. It’s still hard to believe that the Canucks have traded away Richard Loat’s favourite player, Cody […]