CHB’s Top 10 Reasons Why Detroit Fans Were Chanting “USA! USA!”
In a strange scene from Detroit’s Joe Louis Arena yesterday afternoon, the Red Wings fans began to chant “USA! USA!” during the last 30 seconds of their team’s 8 – 3 defeat of the Vancouver Canucks.
For better or for worse, I know that this has happened in other hockey arenas before.
And while there’s nothing wrong with showing a bit of patriotism from time to time, there is indeed a time and place for such showings.
I’m not convinced that Red Wings fans picked the right place nor right time given that only 5 of the 20 players dressed for Detroit were born in the USA.
Thus, after much thought, research, and coin-flipping, I have come up with the Top 10 Reasons Why the Detroit Fans Were Chanting “USA! USA!”:
10. They got tired of singing along to Don’t Stop Believing and Sweet Caroline (credit to @transcendwebs).
9. They are still bitter at Roberto Luongo and all of Canada for beating Team USA at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
8. Related to #9, they were cheering for their US-born netminder Jimmy Howard (and his American backup Tom McCollum for that matter).
7. They really wanted to affirm their US-born players: the 2 goalies (as mentioned above), Justin Abdelkader, Drew Miller, and Brian Lashoff…at the risk of insulting their 6 Canadians, 4 Swedes, and one each from Switzerland, Russia, Finland, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic.
6. Chanting “United Nations! United Nations!” doesn’t have the same ring to it (credit to @lyteforce).
5. They were being very considerate and wanted to cheer up Canuck Americans Ryan Kesler, Chris Higgins, Keith Ballard, Jordan Schroeder, Andrew Alberts, and Cory Schneider.
4. They were inspired by a video tribute to Hacksaw Jim Duggan (see below) during the previous stoppage in play (credit to @DaveLeeSon1).
3. None of them were in their seats for the Star Spangled Banner prior to the game.
2. They wanted to do something fun before leaving the arena only to find that their cars are gone (credit to @browntobure).
1. They were giving a special shout-out and welcome to CHB writer @concretefluff who moved to Los Angeles last week.