CHB’s Top 10 Song Titles Befitting of This Year’s Vancouver Canucks
As a hockey fan and musician, I enjoy seeing the two worlds come together. At a hockey game, it starts with the warm-up music followed by the national anthems. There’s music in between plays (whether live or recorded) and music at the intermission.
Away from the rink you can find hundreds of hockey-themed music videos on YouTube. And I’ve been known to put a few hockey compositions together, whether it’s a Christmas Carol, a song from a musical, a classic rock anthem, or an R & B song about our new head coach.
By the way: my new Canucks song will come out next week…it’s going to be a good one.
So in anticipation of the Canucks’ season opener in San Jose on Thursday night, I took to Twitter and asked: “What song title do you think best describes the Canucks’ chances and team this year?”
I’m compiled some of the replies for this post. You’ll see that there is both optimism and pessimism amongst the Vancouver fanbase. So without further adieu, here are The Top 10 Song Titles Befitting of This Year’s Vancouver Canucks:
“Life is a Highway” by Tom Cochrane – submitted by @kdmurray. Perhaps a reminder that this season is a long journey filled with twists and curves.
“Destination Unknown” by Marietta – submitted by @lyteforce. Of course Chris had to submit something Top Gun related.
“New York State of Mind” by Billy Joel – submitted by @DarcyRotaBlog. A witty reference to John Tortorella coming to us from the Big Apple…or perhaps a comment at AV going the other way.
“Live and Let Die” by The Wings – submitted by @heatheranner. Something tells me Heather isn’t counting on a strong season.
10. “Money for Nothing” by Dire Straits – submitted by @Canucks_Lions. Not sure if Andrew is talking about the Canucks not having much cap room, or the money that he shells out for tickets.
9. “As I Choke” by Ross Copperman – submitted by @OHYAHH. In his tweet, Justin actually dedicated this song to Roberto Luongo. How thoughtful.
8. “Scream” by Michael Jackson – submitted by @Jas_Ferg. Could be the fans (in a good way). Could be the fans (in a bad way). Could be John Tortorella after a loss.
7. “Don’t Panic” by Coldplay – submitted by @Nrenton. A nice reminder to all fans that the season is a long one and the window of opportunity might not be shut just yet.
5. “Baby Blue” by Badfinger – submitted by @PrisonBull. A very timely and clever suggestion given that this song was featured in the series finale of Breaking Bad this past weekend. Not exactly sure how the line “Guess I got what I deserved” fits in though. Or maybe the band name is in reference to Alex Burrows allegedly biting Patrice Bergeron’s finger a couple of years ago.
4. “We are the Champions” by Queen – submitted by @Angie_Canucks. Angie is a die-hard Canucks fan and truly believes that this is the year.
3. “Break Your Heart” by Taio Cruz – submitted by @carlz8. Something tells me that Carly had a rough go of it in June 2011 (and in the two subsequent playoff years).
2. “I Love You” by Barney – submitted by @PPGoose. In his tweet, Puck Puck Goose pointed out that the lyric of “won’t you say you love me too” says it all.
1. “Believe” by Yellowcard – submitted by @JThompsondesign. Now that’s a glass-half full approach!
And for making it to the very end, here’s a bonus music video for you: my Justin Bieber parody from Christmas 2011 called “Under the Minneso”: