Top 10 Reasons Why Albertans Hate the Vancouver Canucks
On Tuesday, TSN’s Bardown website posted a blog about a survey that some Reddit users had conducted asking hockey fans throughout the world to name their most hated hockey team. The results were grouped by Canadian provinces, American states, and continents world-wide.
The findings were amusing if not unsurprising. For instance, the Boston Bruins are the most hated team in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. For reasons unbeknownst to me (aside from possibly small sample sizes), the Montreal Canadiens are the most hated team in South America, while the Winnipeg Jets (?!?) are the most hated team in the hockey hotbed of Africa.
When it came to the USA, there was a good amount of hatred for the Bruins, Blackhawks, Red Wings, and Kings. And for Canada, every single province and territory polled listed the big, bad Bruins as their most hated team.
That is, except for Alberta. Our immediate neighbours chose the Vancouver Canucks.
I had my own theories why but I went to the Twitterverse to get some more opinions. Thus, we proudly present to you the Top 10 Reasons Why Albertans Hate the Vancouver Canucks.
10. The Canucks have dominated Edmonton and Calgary for years. – submitted by @deepakmaroke
9. They like bears. – submitted by @LarryWong84
8. The Bertuzzi years/Northwest Division dominance, Sedins lighting them up, and maybe Kassian-Gagner & Torts incidents. – submitted by @GradySasSports
7. The shift.
6. The Medicine Hat Mafia: Trev. Willie. Shinkaruk. Vey. Dorset. – submitted by @nine30shineshop
5. The Canucks have laid a merciless beat down on Alberta teams for the last decade. #NWdivisionChamps. – submitted by @JamesLawnsocial
4. The Canucks have better bloggers.
3. A combination of the constant flow of natural gas and cow manure makes them stupid. – submitted by @ch1oconn
2. We are their Toronto. – submitted by @RobTheHockeyGuy
1. Because a “Canuck fan” worries about why people hate the team. Who gives a rat’s ass? – submitted by @THECooop
I guess I do. Well, enough to write a whole blog about it.