Photo credit: cbc.ca
There was much anticipation for last night’s meeting between the Vancouver Canucks and New York Rangers for one obvious reason: the first showdown between head coaches John Tortorella and Alain Vigneault since taking over as new bench bosses of their respective clubs.
Despite it being a preseason game, there was an undeniable buzz in the city, in the arena, and of course, on Twitter.
Thus, after the Canucks 5-0 win, I put a simple question out to the fans: “Why is Torts a better coach for the Canucks (right now) than AV?”
A couple of quick notes:
- I would have asked this question regardless of the result of last night’s game
- I have respect for Alain Vigneault the person and the coach and certainly for all of his accomplishments. Having said that, it was obviously time for a change at the end of last year.
So sit back and enjoy your (unedited) submissions in The Top 10 Reasons Why Torts is a Better Coach for the Canucks (Right Now) Than AV:
10. AV was an awesome coach and a great guy but it was time for the #Canucks to get a new perspective & Torts would give them that (@elmeebaterina)
We start off with a nice one from my friend Elmee, who shares my sentiment of AV being a good coach but that it was indeed time for a change. Great minds think alike!
9. He lowers amount of money in the budget allotted to purchasing gum. (@CaptToeDrag)
Indeed. Too bad these savings can`t be added on to the salary cap.
8. because he makes the team play hard for fear of a bag skate the next day and his wrath (@tpoole00)
Fear can be a great motivator. My wife uses it on me all the time.
7a. easy. one word. guts…to make decisions, call it like it is, and tell off those who need it. (@brianna2shoes)
7b. demands results, holds players accountable stars or not. Won’t accept mediocrity. (@codybarendregt)
7c. canucks had become complacent after the boston game in 2012. Needed a new voice that would push. So far impressed (@drchill49)
7d. Hands on, straight forward, brutally honest. Opinionated and demanding. A breath of fresh air. (@Showbot)
7e. passion front line coach. Talks the truth instead of beating around the bush. #shootsfromthehip #pride (@TheGoodGnu)
These 5 responses share similar themes: the team needed a change and it needed someone who isn’t afraid of speaking his mind. I believe they got their wish.
6. with Torts u can see the D-Men actually take care of the zone and let #luongo see the puck.Simple, effective hockey by #Canucks (@sdhaliwa)
5. agressive forecheck, 3 F below the goalline vs AV 3rd man in slot. Not often canucks should get out manned in puck battles (@PPGoose)
#5 and #6 talk about some of the differences in game play and strategy under Torts. Will be interesting to see if these trends continue.
4. because AV can’t grow facial hair. (@TucoSalamanka)
I can relate as it takes me 2 years to grow a beard. I’m guessing that @TucoSalamanka doesn’t have that problem.
3. Because he’s Italian and we’re better at everything. (@BrowntoBure)
Never one to shy away from polarizing comments, @BrowntoBure doesn’t disappoint this time around. I wonder this is related to #4.
2. Press conferences. Duh. (@SirCanuckles)
1. “Under Alain Vigneault…Vigneault…Vigneault…Eh, Eh, Eh” doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.
You just knew I was going to work this video in!